Monday, October 5, 2009

Sherri Shepherd’s New Sitcom debuts on Lifetime Television Network this Week

Sherri Shepherd has new comedy series on the Lifetime Television Network costarring Malcolm-Jamal Warner. Shepherd also costars as “Cornrows” in the anticipated new film, PRECIOUS, from director Lee Daniels

Sandra Varner’s Celebrity Profiles

Special to the Insider News

Sherri Shepherd (TV’s “The View,” NBC’s “30 Rock”) stars in her own comedy series, “Sherri,” debuting tonight, Monday, Oct. 5, on the Lifetime Television Network. The regular time slot is Tuesdays at 10 p.m., ET/PT.

"Sherri" centers around a newly single mom, paralegal and part-time comedienne/actress who tries to get back into the dating scene and move on with her life after divorcing her cheating husband. Sherri finds solace and support among her girlfriends at the office while juggling her hectic life.

"Sherri" marks the first comedy series ever to be wholly owned by Lifetime. The Network has picked up 12 episodes of the program, to be produced in New York. Also starring in the series are Elizabeth Regen ("The Black Donnellys"), Kate Reinders ("Ugly Betty"), Kali Rocha ("Grey's Anatomy") and Tammy Townsend ("Lincoln Heights").

Malcolm-Jamal Warner ("The Cosby Show") and James Avery ("The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"), will guest-star in multiple episodes.

I caught up with Shepherd at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival where she and fellow cast members from the anticipated new movie PRECIOUS, a true story taken from the book, Push, by author Sapphire about an overweight, illiterate teenage mother who is abused by her mother and molested by her father.

Along with Shepherd cast as “Cornrows”, the stars of PRECIOUS include: Paula Patton (HBO’s “Idlewild”), Mo’nique (TV’s “The Parkers”), recording artists Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz, and first-time actress, Gabourey Sidibe, as “Precious.” The film is directed by Lee Daniels (“Monster’s Ball,” “Shadowboxer,” “The Woodsman”) and produced by filmmaker Tyler Perry (“I Can Do Bad All by Myself,” “Madea’s Family Reunion”) and daytime TV show host, businesswoman and philanthropist, Oprah Winfrey.

In Toronto, Shepherd commented on the interaction she had with her PRECIOUS costars.

“Working with Paula (Patton) and the other girls on the scene was great. I would say [that] when I came and auditioned for this movie I came in as a comedienne because comedy is what I do. Lee (Daniels) was having none of that; after he stopped laughing, he told me, ‘I don’t want none of that bitch.’ Laughter

‘Take that smile off your face.’ So, I got to have my fun from interacting with Paula before the director would say, ‘Action!’ There was such a bonding between these women: with Gaby (Sidibe), Paula and with the other ladies. But, I just have to thank Lee, because you all know me and he brought some stuff out of me that I didn’t know I had, especially when he kept calling me ‘bitch.’” Laughter

View video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSL1VkEp0OQ

No comments: