Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Can One Player Be Above the Team



Hello Insider Family. Every sports fan, athlete, coach, owner, and commentator says that there is no “I” in TEAM. As a former athlete, I was taught to sacrifice my personal goals for the greater good of the team. When that is done, then we are all successful. We win as a team and we lose as a team. It doesn’t profit anyone to be a prima-donna or a superstar, but you never win. I remember thinking I was bigger than the team when I was in high school. I wanted to skip practice, and expected to still start. I walked in the barbershop before pregame walk through to find my coach there. I tried to sneak out before he saw me, but too late. He looked at me and said, “I don’t care if we are up 50-0 tomorrow night. The only time you will touch the field is when you are warming up with the team.” What? Are you serious? I am a returning starter, this is my senior season, it’s our first game of the season, and a home game. I know you are not going to bench me. Fast forward to the next night and when our defense took the field, I was on the bench. No, he didn’t actually bench me the entire game, but he did bench me the entire first quarter, which seemed like an eternity. At that moment, I learned a valuable lesson…with or without me; the team will keep moving forward. No one man is above the team.

read more …

No comments: