Saturday, November 13, 2010

A childhood dream has turned into a career for a local Case High School graduate


Bithia Bell has always wanted to be a beautician. As early as six years old she can remember chopping off her Barbie Doll’s hair . “ I would look forward to the next Christmas so I could get a new doll and start all over again,” said Bell.

At the age of 14, she sharpened her skills as a neighborhood beautician and set sites on one major goal, owning her own business. “I remember my mother turning her entire dining room into a beauty salon for me,” explained Bell, a 1997 Case High school graduate.

Her makeshift salon attracted between 15 and 17 clients weekly. The confident Bell, said that a large majority of those people are still with her today. “I believe that my clients see that I am very professional, and they enjoy that type of service,” she acknowledged.

With the exception of a brief two year interim where she wanted to become involved in corporate America, she has kept her eyes on her dream. For two years she attended Parkside University and stayed active in the field by working in several local salons. She believes that her background in business, coupled with the experience she obtained by working for SC Johnson, a family company, laid the foundation she needed to take the biggest step in her life.

On August 4, she opened the doors as one of Racine’s youngest African-American business owner. The B. Rashel Salon, LLC, is located at 2032 Lathrop Avenue., in the heart of the western Racine business district. “I wanted to do something different. At other salons that I worked for, I had no control. I am a strong believer that salons should be ru..n professionally for customers,” said the 31-years-old Bell.

The salon is spacious and accented with warm earth tone colors, with a hint Oriental décor. The drying room is hidden away from public view which customers seem to appreciate. She is licensed and her full featured services are reasonably priced. You can call (262) 880-1297 for appointments.

No comments: