Monday, December 15, 2008

Turner named chair for Assembly Criminal Justice Committee


Madison, WI -- State Representative Robert Turner (D-Racine) announced today he has been appointed Chairperson of the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice. “I am very pleased that Speaker Mike Sheridan has named me to this post,” said Turner. “I look forward to working with my fellow committee members to improve our criminal justice laws in Wisconsin. Despite a lack of money for new programs, there are many emerging issues that do not necessarily require additional spending” he said.
Turner, a former military policeman in the Air Force in Vietnam, has served on the Criminal Justice Committee during the past two legislative sessions.

Turner said he actively sought the appointment and was very glad that he was chosen for this assignment. “Throughout my previous membership on the Criminal Justice Committee I found the issues and discussions very compelling—I welcome the opportunity to foster effective and fair criminal justice policies as Chairperson of this Committee,” he added.
In 2007-08, Representative Turner served as the ranking Democrat on the Criminal Justice Committee. In 2005-06, he served on the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice and Homeland Security. He will begin his 2-year tenure as Chairperson in January 2009.

No comments: